- Nominations are solicited from the University Community
- Nomination packets are due November 30th, 2018 (for the 2019-2021 commencements), and must include:
- the Honorary Degree Nomination form (pdf)
- statement explaining the basis for honoring the individual and referring to the selection criteria whenever possible;
- vita (resume or biographical description);
Supplemental materials which may include:
- Additional information as appropriate (at least two letters of support, materials and writings that attest to the eminence of the candidate, etc.);
- A letter from the college dean most appropriate to the nominated individual confirming that s/he is aware of and concurs with the nomination.
- Nomination packets are reviewed and discussed by the committee (if necessary, additional information can be requested from the nominator)
- The committee submits a final list of candidates to the University Senate at the October (for 2019, 2020, and 2021 commencements) Senate meeting
- The University Senate approves nominations and forwards them to the Chancellor
- The Chancellor invites candidates
- Only candidates who are able to come to Syracuse to receive an Honorary Degree may have such a degree conferred.
NOTE: Candidates who have been approved, but are unable to come to Syracuse, may be deferred for one (1) year. After that time, the candidates can be re-nominated.
Updated September 28, 2018